I searched far and wide for a solution to recording good quality Skype audio for Free. Most solutions had you buying a particular software or setting up a second computer. I knew it was easier then that and I ran across a tiny little hint the other day that solved everything. Basically Skype automatically mutes your microphone when it starts; keeping your recording software from picking up your side of the conversation. Here’s the simple steps to changing that.
- Download Audacity and Skype if you haven’t already.
- In Skype go to “Tools…Options…” Click the Sound Devices Icon… and UNCHECK the “Let Skype adjust my sound device settings”
- In Audacity choose Stereo Mixer as your input
- Hit Record and make your call!
- You will need to play with the Volume Control panel to adjust the audio inputs to similar levels (wave and microphone)
This is the simple trick to using Skype for podcast interviews and much more.
Of course, there is always the new Gizmo Project. Similar to Skype, but with some extra features, Gizmo has a built in recorder as well as sound effect buttons and a few other neat features.