Jesus told us that “unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” That being said, I’m anxious to really learn what that might look like. Here’s my plan: I want to tell my children the teachings and parables of Jesus, unfettered by my explanations, and see how little children seek to live out those teachings. The problem is, I’ve looked around, and I can’t find any children’s books that teach the challenging parables of Jesus.
I’ve looked and haven’t seen any “Love Your Enemies” passages in a single children’s book around. So, there are a couple of things I’m interested in doing:
- I’m interested if anyone with children (3-6 or so) have ever read some of the parables of Jesus to their kids. And if so, what was their children’s reactions?
- I’m wondering if anyone knows of children’s books with those types of stories that exist anywhere?
- And this is the big one: I’d like to find a publisher, or self publish, a series of children’s books or just one book with those teachings in it.
Here’s some of the parables that I think we should be teaching our children and allowing them to respond:
- The Rich Man and the Beggar Lazarus
- The Rich Fool
- Parable of the Pearl
- Parable of the Friend at Night
What other Parables can you think of that we tend not to read to our children, but should?